Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Wake up!!

I found a usage for the WOL (Wake on LAN) feature finally. Now that all my computers are tucked nicely underneath the desk in front of me. Reaching the power buttons has become a chore. Got to thinking about a remote power on solution. Remote being from my chair. And found this site. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake-on-LAN

I know I should be embarrassed when considering the short distance from my chair to my desk as "remote". But from one computer I can now toggle on all the computers attached to the network. This serves two purposes:

1. PAIN IN THE **!#@$ Less back strain. Bending over may be ok for the younger folks and Gumby, but for me, not so much fun. Less fun not the desired outcome.

2. GO GO GREEN! I support the notion of feeling guilty about using too much electricity. I am not say that I actually feel guilt, just that it's an idea that I'd like to support using more technology to accomplish. Having WOL encourages me to turn off all these damn computers when I go to bed.

I am sure that these WOL applications have other useful purposes. I see one program I can use from my Windows Mobile phone to turn on/off all the computers on my network while I am away. Scripts you can use from the web.... Sounds like might be cool for remote access of some such.

Would you like to play a game?....

No comments: